Critical Reading is a skill to know the deep structure of a reading material, which can help students understand the writer's point of view and logic, make self-reflection, build a connection with the text, and promote a good habit of reading. Let's start by reading and analyzing the PBS news - kids on topics of Health, Education, Nation, Science, and more. After this course, students may need to start getting used to people asking them, "How did you know that?".
Students will learn:
- topics of Education, Health, Nation, Science and more.
- how to explain key details in PBS NewsHour, and be able to distinguish explicit and inferences
- to summarize characters, setting, or plot and make reflection
- the overall structure of news, part of speech, and point of view
- Speaking, Grammar, Vocabulary, Cultures
- to write news
- and much more!
Time: 1:00 - 3:00 P.M. ET
Date: Monday - Friday, 6/14-6/18/2021 (week 1)
Grade (2021 Spring): Grade 3 - 5
Class size: 6-8
Category: English Language Arts
Standards: Common Core States Standard
Online Course Requirements
Mac, PC, tablet, or phone
Stable internet connection with access to Zoom Video Conference
Assorted office stationery and household art supplies
Drexel University, BS in Elementary Education | Educator